VMware recently announced changes to the NSX portfolio (the new NSX pillars shown below), introducing new NSX product pillars, on in other words a rebrand on the previous NSX product set.
Figure 1: NSX Portfolio
However, when it comes to licensing, it is good to know that the previous licensing for NSX vSphere (6.4.1+) (i.e editions: NSX Standard, NSX Advanced and NSX Enterprise) have been replaced. As per VMwares - Product offerings for VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2.x, 6.3.x and 6.4.x - they have been replaced with:
NSX Data Center for vSphere 6.4.1+
VMware NSX Data Center is available as a platform with multiple license tiers effective June 5, 2018. The tiers of NSX licenses are as follows:
- NSX Data Center Standard: For organizations that need agility and automation of the network.
- NSX Data Center Professional: For organizations that need Standard, plus micro-segmentation. They may have public cloud endpoints.
- NSX Data Center Advanced: For organizations that need Professional, plus advanced networking and security services and integration with a broad ecosystem. They may have multiple sites.
- NSX Data Center Enterprise Plus: For organizations that need the most advanced capabilities of NSX Data Center, plus vRealize Network Insight for network visibility and security operations, and NSX Hybrid Connect for hybrid cloud mobility.
- NSX Data Center for Remote Office Branch Office: For organizations that need to virtualize networking and security for applications in the remote office or branch office.
For a full break down the how the old (NSX vSphere) and new (NSX Data Center) licenses compare, please go to https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145269.